6 Secrets From the Pros for Choosing an Amazing Backsplash
I was running into Home Depot the other day to pick up a few things for a job and as I stood there trying to decide on the right grout color for my job when I over heard a husband and wife trying to decide on a tile for their kitchen backsplash. They were all over the place with ideas ranging from modern to country. I didn’t want to get involved but I thought if I could give them a bit of advice it would be don’t wait until you get to the big box store to talk about what you want for your backsplash.
Pinterest is a good place to get ideas – and the options really are endless.
Here are a few things to think about before you start choosing your tile.
1. The style of your house.
2. The colors of your space.
3. Value. Look at the ideas you love on pinterest and notice if you like a dark backsplash or light. Also, think about how much light you have in your kitchen.
4. Tone. What is the main “tone” of your counter and cabinets? Is it warm or cool? Choose a backsplash tile with a matching tone.
5. Simple vs busy. Look at your favs again and notice if you are leaning towards simple, tone on tone tiles, or if you love lots of color and design.
6. Trendy. Remember, tile is not cheap and neither is installation. If you want something that is timeless and that you’ll be happy with for many years stay away from the trendy shapes and go with a neutral color and a simple shape. You can always add color and design in other areas that aren’t so expensive to change.
Bottom line is this – backsplash choices are massive. It’s not a decision that should be an impulsive one. It may even be one worthy of hiring an interior designer for an hour or two. But however you decide to do it remember this bit of wise advice – your backsplash can either be the one thing that unifies your kitchen or be the only thing that gets noticed. You will never be sorry that you put some time and thought into it!